How To Choose The Right Collagen For Your Skin
Yeah … those were the days.
Lately you look in the mirror and all you notice are the wrinkles and fine lines that are gradually overwhelming your complexion—all those tell-tale signs of age that are taking more and more of a hold every day.
As you age, the micronutrients that your body produces reduce more and more every year.
Collagen, the connecting tissue which keeps your skin elastic, smooth and supple, is something which your body produces with ease when you are young. As you get older however, collagen production falls off a cliff.
The result? You already know exactly what it looks like—dry, sagging, aging skin.
That’s why if you want to turn the clock back, you need the right collagen supplement. A quality supplement can help replenish this vital protein, all while hydrating your skin for a youthful glow. As a bonus, your nails will start to get stronger and healthier. You’ll typically be able to see a difference within just 4-6 days of use. Within a month, the improvements can be dramatic!
What Are Collagen Supplements?
Before you can make an informed decision to buy a collagen supplement, you need to understand what you’re purchasing.
A collagen supplement is quite literally a supplement which provides an ingestible form of collagen—not a supplement which simply stimulates your body’s own collagen production.
What is awesome about collagen supplements however is that they actually can stimulate collagen production at the same time. So they immediately boost your body’s collagen stores and they help to trigger long-term production.
These supplements are extremely common in Asia, but seem to be less so in the western world. They’re catching on fast however, with celebrities in the US and Europe catching onto the trend.
So if you’ve been hearing more and more about collagen supplements, don’t be surprised—you can expect this craze to get a whole lot bigger in the near future.
Types of Collagen in the Body
Did you know that collagen isn’t just one substance? There are actually 28 different kinds of collagen found in tissues throughout your body.
The most important type for your skin is known as “type 1 collagen.” Comprising 80% of your skin’s dermis layer, it is the connecting tissue which provides firmness and elasticity.
The collagen supplement you purchase should be composed of 90% type 1 collagen or more.
Types of Collagen Supplements
You will notice when you start researching collagen supplements that there are several different types available:
- Collagen pills: These are collagen supplements in pill form. While these are fast, easy and convenient to take, they are not the best when it comes to bioavailability.
- Gel collagen: This type of collagen supplement takes the form of a gelatin which you can rub into your skin. The nutrients penetrate the skin and are absorbed, going right to the tissue where they are needed.
- Liquid collagen: This is collagen in liquid form as part of a drink mix. Liquid collagen is the most potent type of collagen supplement on the market today, providing you with the high concentration and bioavailability you need to trigger your body’s wound repair response. Another plus with liquid collagen is that it is easy to swallow and digest. For all of these reasons, we highly recommend that if you are going to use a collagen supplement, you go with a liquid product.
Sources of Collagen Used in Collagen Supplements
“All of this sounds great,” you might be thinking, “but where does this collagen come from?”
Good question. As it turns out, collagen used in collagen supplements may come from several different sources:
- Animal collagen (typically cow, pig or chicken). You’ll see this form of collagen used in beauty clinics because it is most similar to human collagen; it is also popular in collagen supplements. It works very well, but you need to make sure that you are getting a high-quality product, because some lower-quality animal collagen may be contaminated by slaughterhouse by-products.
- Plant collagen. This type of collagen is way too dense for your body to absorb effectively through ingestion. It is OK applied topically, but not the best.
- Marine collagen (from fish). This type of collagen is light and easily absorbed. Bioavailability and purity of marine collagen are both high, making it one of the better options out there. The downside is that it is not as closely compatible with human DNA as animal collagen—and it also is more likely to cause allergic reactions in some users.
What is Hydrolyzed Collagen?
Some collagen supplements contain what is known as hydrolyzed collagen.
While this term sounds technical, it is easy to understand.
Basically, collagen molecules are too large for the body to absorb when they are in their natural state.
When the molecules are hydrolyzed, they are subjected to a process which breaks the down into smaller chains. The resulting chains are referred to as “collagen peptides.”
These smaller peptides are much more easily absorbed by your body.
So when you see a collagen supplement for sale which contains hydrolyzed collagen, you are looking at a form of collagen with higher bioavailability.
Not only do these peptides absorb well into your bloodstream and your skin, but they also trigger the wound healing response, which in turn triggers your skin into producing more collagen.
Now that you understand what makes for a great collagen supplement, I want to tell you about my top recommendation.
How Concentrated Does a Collagen Supplement Need to Be in Order to Be Effective?
A lot of people are under the impression that they need a ridiculously high dose of collagen in order for a product to be effective—something on the order of 10,000 mg or more.
This is not actually the case. Researchers have discovered that 2,500 mg of collagen is sufficient to provide the full benefits of collagen supplementation (read about it in this white paper).
Right now, there is no evidence to indicate that a higher dosage leads to greater benefits.
Indeed, many manufacturers of collagen supplements have waged something of a misdirection campaign where they focus exclusively on delivering high dosages—instead of focusing on the quality of their collagen formulas.
So they tell you that their formula is the best because it delivers 12,000 mg of collagen. But in reality, a competing supplement which delivers just 2,500 mg of collagen might be more effective if it is a high-quality form of hydrolyzed marine or animal collagen.
Remember, the size of the molecules, the purity and quality of the source, and the format of the product (liquid, gel or pill) is most important. You should be shopping for the product with the highest bioavailability, not necessarily the highest dosage.
How to Shop for the Right Collagen: Action Tips
Now that you understand more about the science of collagen and some of the different considerations which go into purchasing a high-quality collagen supplement, let’s quickly review and summarize what we have learned.
When you are shopping for the best collagen supplement, you should be looking for the following:
- A liquid collagen supplement. This type of collagen is easiest to digest, and offers unparalleled absorption.
- High-quality animal or marine collagen. If you have any concerns about allergies, stick with collagen from animal sources. Plus, animal collagen is most compatible with your DNA, making it the most effective choice overall. Just make sure that you research the production process that the manufacturer is using to make sure that you are getting pure animal collagen.
- Hydrolyzed collagen. This type of collagen has been broken down into smaller chains so that your body can absorb and use all of the nutrition.
Additionally, you should shop for a collagen supplement which:
- Has an enjoyable taste. If you are shopping for liquid collagen, check out customer reviews to find out about the taste of the product. Some liquid collagen products taste great; others taste downright awful. Since this will become a regular part of your skincare regimen, obviously you want it to taste good.
- Contains other healthy nutrients. The best collagen supplements contain other healthy nutrients like vitamins and minerals which are good for your skin.
- Is free of gluten, fat, cholesterol, artificial sweeteners, and unwanted fillers and contaminants.
- Is cost-effective. A top-shelf collagen supplement is not going to be cheap, but it should be reasonably cost-effective. Remember, when you are calculating the value of a collagen supplement, you need to consider the cost over time. You might see what appears to be a cheap-looking bottle of collagen pills, but you will have to take a lot of them to get the same benefit you would from a single dosage of high-quality liquid collagen. So while the liquid collagen may appear more expensive, it actually costs less than the pills over the long run when you take the benefits into account.
The Best Collagen Drink Available Is Called – Skinside
Skinside is manufactured by a Swiss company called Skinside AG. The product is marketed as “Drinkable Skincare Meets Swiss Precision”—and that’s a perfect description of what this product has to offer. Let’s take a closer look.
Here is the full list of all ingredients contained in Skinside Beauty Shots:
Water, milk serum (Swiss milk serum from powder), sugar, hydrolyzed collagen, citric acid (acidifier), natural flavors, Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), Potassium sorbate (preservative), Vitamin E (Dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate), niacin (niacinamide)
Skinside takes a three-pronged approach to healthy skincare:
- Bioactive collagen enhances the firmness and elasticity of your skin.
- Vitamins C, E and B3 nourish your skin for a healthy glow.
- Swiss milk serum replenishes your body’s stores of magnesium and calcium. Swiss natives have been using this powerful serum for centuries now to maintain their youthful complexions!
The bioactive collagen used in Skinside Beauty Shots comes from animal sources, so it is compatible with your body’s DNA.
Certified Kosher and Halal, the supplement is manufactured according to the strict guidelines set by the FDA and USDA. This ensures that the collagen you are ingesting is pure and free of any contaminants.
Additionally, the 2,500 mg of collagen delivered in each bottle is fully hydrolyzed. That means that the molecules are small enough that your body can easily absorb them. So each Beauty Shot gives you the full dose you need for beautiful skin!
As you can see, this formulation meets all of the requirements for a high-quality collagen supplement. You are getting a high enough dosage to be effective, the collagen is in liquid, hydrolyzed form, and it comes from pure animal sources.
How Should You Take Skinside?
It could not be easier to take Skinside Beauty Shots for youthful, vibrant skin.
All you have to do is drink one Beauty Shot daily. You can do this at any time of day. It doesn’t matter if your stomach is empty or full. You do not need to shake or mix the drink, and you do not even need to refrigerate it. Just store it at room temperature and drink it whenever you are ready. It doesn’t get more convenient than that. You can drink it in the morning with breakfast, or you can take it to work with you and enjoy it on the go.
What Does Skinside Taste Like?
If you have never taken liquid collagen supplements before, you might be a little worried about the flavor. After all, most liquid supplements of any variety are a bit dodgy in the flavor department, am I right?
Thankfully, Skinside actually tastes pretty awesome, and it’s got a great texture too. In terms of consistency, it isn’t thick, chalky or gloopy—it is smooth like water. The flavor can best be described as “fruity.”
If you take a closer look at the ingredients list, you will notice that only natural flavors and sugar are used. This is outstanding, because a lot of competing products are loaded with weird artificial flavors, sweeteners and additives which are not great for your health.
And you know what? Those artificially flavored products taste pretty lousy too.
Earlier I mentioned that Skinside can be stored at room temperature. Note however that it does not have to be. You can put it in the fridge if you’d like. It is totally up to you. Enjoy it chilled or at room temperature as suits your taste (personally I prefer it chilled, but to each her own).
Does Skinside Deliver?
In a word … absolutely. Skinside works, and it works fast. Clinical trials have demonstrated that over 70% of Skinside users noticed visible improvements in the appearance of their skin within a period of just 4-8 weeks.
On top of that, 100% of users reported no side effects.
Contrast that with the slew of side effects you can expect if you go into the beauty clinic for injections.
Studies on Skinside have also shown that within only 8 weeks of use, the supplement can deliver the following results:
- An 18% increase in elastin
- A 65% increase in procollagen
- A 64% reduction in redness
So not only does Skinside firm up your skin, but it also improves tone with a clarifying effect. This is an extra benefit if you suffer from eczema, rosacea, or other skin conditions which cause redness.
The benefits are most dramatic when it comes to your face of course, but you will probably notice them throughout your body.
Skinside can do a wonderful job reducing sagging around the neck and jowls, and it can firm up the skin on your arms, legs, and pretty much everywhere else. Check out some Skinside before and after pics and you’ll see what I mean. To date, I’ve tried over 10 different collagen drinks. The majority of those were not great but 2 products were very impressive. The initial product, Taut, was actually very good but cost prohibitive at the time. As far as results and overall value- Skinside by far has been the best.
With Skinside, I noticed a change within a month. Actually, right around the 3-week mark I noticed my complexion had more of a glow. Four weeks in and some of the fine lines are my eyes were less noticeable. Five weeks in and they were a lot less visible.
Around six weeks, I noticed that even some of my more pronounced wrinkles were a lot less obvious. The skin around my neck tightened up, and all my skin felt soft and smooth to the touch.
I’ve been using Skinside for more than five months now, and I am still seeing improvements. The face I see in the mirror each day looks about five years younger.
And let me tell you … people say that “age is in the mind,” and maybe they’re right—just not the way they expect.
Age must be in the mind, because I don’t just look younger, I feel younger. When you wake up to a fresh face in the mirror each day, you feel fresh—rejuvenated, renewed, invigorated.
In short, I feel so much happier and more confident in my own skin now. I can’t tell you how much I wish I had invested in Skinside to begin with instead of those useless pills!
Where Can You Order Skinside Beauty Shots?
If you’re tired of sagging, wrinkled, dry, lifeless skin … get ready to turn back the clock. You could be just weeks away from firm, silky, radiant, youthful skin. It worked for me and it can work for you. There’s a great deal on right now for Skinside, but it’s not going to stick around for long—so take advantage while it lasts! Click the link below to order Skinside Beauty Shots now!
The Best Collagen Pills – NeoCell Collagen
NeoCell is actually a manufacturer, and the company has several supplements in their lineup. Since we’re talking about collagen pills, you’ll want to look at the:
- NeoCell Super Collagen +C 1&3
There are also a few other collagen supplements in the company’s lineup, but this is the one that we have personal experience with. This product’s main ingredient is hydrolyzed super collagen, and you will be required to take three tablets twice daily.
Vitamin C is included as well as sodium, but there no mentions of the exact ingredients that you will find in the hydrolyzed super collagen. What we do know is that there are 19 different amino acids included in this product to provide your cells with rejuvenation.
You’ll be taking three pills twice per day to maximize the absorption of super collagen in your body. The results are very similar to what we discussed with Skinaide, but I found them to be a little bit slower due to the lesser absorption rate.
Why would you choose NeoCell?
The only reason I would choose this product over liquid collagen is because of the price. Liquid form costs significantly more on a monthly basis.
If you’re looking for the absolute best supplement of 2017 (updated to runner-up status now after our Le Taut review), I would have to recommend Skinside. But if you are on a tight budget and don’t mind collagen supplements that take a little bit longer to produce results, NeoCell would be the budget-friendly choice.